Wedding Documents

Documents You Will Need

Newly Issued Copy of Baptismal Certificate:

This certificate must be dated no more than six months before the time it is turned in. It is required for the Catholic party only and it needs to be newly issued...not one that was issued shortly after your baptism. Call the church where you were baptized and ask them for a newly issued baptismal certificate with notations. They will know what to do.


Affidavit of Free Status:

The Affidavit of Free Status is a form which asks one of the parents or another relative of each of you to be a witness to the fact that you are free to marry. These two forms (one for the bride and one for the groom,) can be mailed to your priest or deacon or brought to one of your meetings.


Civil Marriage License:

A wedding ceremony cannot be conducted in any state until you present a valid marriage license.

If you anticipate having any visiting clergy for your wedding, please note:

Celebret or Letter of Good Standing:

Any priest or deacon from outside the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston who plans to celebrate or assist with your wedding must have a current Celebret or Letter of Good Standing from their Bishop or the Superior of their order.  This is a firm Diocesan policy to which no exceptions will apply.