- Decorating the Church: Only live flowers may be used (no artificial), and floral decorations must be left in the Church after the wedding for the weekend Masses. Pew bows may be used, and must be attached without tape, tacks, or anything which will change or harm the wooden pews. Additional candelabra may be used.
Aisle cloths and arches are customarily not permitted. Bird seed, rice, and flower petals may not be used inside or outside the Church.
- Photography and Videography: Flash pictures may be taken as the wedding party enters and leaves the Church. Once the bride and groom reach the altar, NO FLASH PICTURES ARE ALLOWED. After the ceremony, group pictures at the altar are permitted.
Please inform your photographer that pictures after the ceremony must be completed in 20 minutes.
If a video is made, the videographer may be with the camera at the altar during the procession, but then the camera must be left unattended on a tripod. No photographer or camera person is allowed in the altar area during the ceremony.
Before any ceremony begins, the photographer and videographer must identify themselves to the celebrant.
- Professional Wedding Coordinators: Professional wedding coordinators are allowed, but not encouraged. If you choose to have a Coordinator at the rehearsal or wedding, please have them identify themselves and make sure that they understand that their role does not include participation in or direction of the wedding rehearsal or the liturgy the following day. Under no circumstances are they permitted in the sacristy.
- Dressing at the Church: Our Lady of Perpetual Help is pleased to offer the use of the Parish Hall for the benefit of the bride and her attendants. Unfortunately, there is no such facility for the gentlemen. So, the men must arrive at the Church already dressed, as there is no dressing facility for the groom or his groomsmen.
We request that the bride’s room be left clean and ready for the next wedding party to enjoy. Failure to do so can result in the loss of your deposit.
- Programs for the Wedding: Many couples find it helpful to have a program for the ceremony to assist the guests. If you decide to have a program, please include the following disclaimer at the beginning of your program:
“We welcome you as guests in this house of God and we request that you keep a respectful quiet before, during, and after the ceremony. Please turn off all cell phones and pagers. Thank You.”
If you are having a Mass, please include the following disclaimer in your program at the appropriate time for Communion:
“Catholics who are free and worthily disposed spiritually to receive Holy Communion are welcome to come forward during this time. Others who will not receive communion can come forward with hands over heart to receive a special blessing.”
- Food and Drink Before the Wedding: Occasionally, brides, grooms, and attendants request permission for light food or snacks before the weddings. As long as this request is made and approved in advance by the priest or deacon, this request is customarily acceptable. The room must be left clean, however, and failure to do so could result in the loss of your deposit. Also, please note the policy below regarding alcoholic beverages.
- Reception and Rehearsal Dinner Facilities: Our parish has a gorgeous facility that may be the perfect site for rehearsal dinners and/or wedding receptions of various sizes. We encourage you to make an appointment to visit our offices for a tour of our facilities here at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. You may contact the parish office at 304-623-2334 for information and reservations.
Smoking within the Church buildings (please step outside if you must smoke), alcoholic beverages, and any kind of unlawful use of controlled substances is forbidden in the Bride’s Room or any other area of parish facilities prior to the wedding. Any indication that the bride, groom, or witnesses are under the influence of these substances may result in the cancellation of the wedding.